HEAD OF UNIT
The Bioinformatics Unit provides researchers at CRG/PRBB and external organizations with services of consultation, planning NGS experiments, data processing, analysis and management, software and database development, bioinformatics training, and access to high-performance computing resources. The team contributes to research projects by providing support and expertise in programming and advanced data analysis, focusing primarily on high-throughput genomics and transcriptomics technologies including microarrays, genotyping, and next-generation sequencing.
The Bioinformatics Unit works in synergy with the Genomics Unit to support users through all steps of a service, from the planning to the delivery of timely and reliable results.
APPLICATIONS AND SERVICES
- Consultancy on bioinformatics methods and resources
- NGS (WES and WGS) experiment planning and budgeting
- Bioinformatics training
- Software development
- Development of bioinformatics scripts and more advanced pipelines to automate sequence analyses and genome annotation tasks;
- Implementation of integrative bioinformatics web applications;
- Implementation of customized Genome browsers.
- Data Processing and Analysis
- Processing and analysis of metagenomics data;
- Processing of high-throughput genomics and transcriptomics data;
- Analysis of RNA-seq, ChIP-Seq, 5C, OpenArray and other high-throughput data;
- Identification of differentially expressed genes;
- Genome variation detection and comparative analysis;
- Genome re-sequencing;
- De novo genome assembly;
- Downstream gene analysis, including GO term, motif and pathway enrichment analysis.
- Genome functional annotation, including motif, regulatory elements and promoter analysis;
- Protein functional annotation through multiple sequence alignments, orthology assignments, protein structure comparisons, fold recognition, and phylogenetic analysis.
- Metagenomics (microbial and fungi communities)
- Data management
- Construction of ad-hoc databases and web interfaces to allow systematic storage, management, analysis, and search of biologically relevant information;
- Development of versatile ticketing and project/lab management systems based on the semantic media wiki technology.